Sunday, December 09, 2012

Firsts for Everything

Yesterday morning I was out riding with Andy Armstrong, a friend from the cycling team. We were about 7 miles in and going down a hill (Germantown Road) when I came around a corner and I saw a pick-up truck pull out in front of me. I imagine it was a deer in headlights reaction for him as he pulled to the centerline and stopped. I realized I couldn't stop in time and moved to left and...

The next thing that I have any memory of is seeing the lights in the ceiling of the ambulance as they loaded me in. Andy informed me that he was 100 ft behind me and barely stopped 5 feet from the car. I hit around the front tire and went over the hood and landed on the other side of the truck. He came around and found me unconscious on the ground bleeding from my head (not to worry I always wear a helmet). I woke up shortly but I have no memories of the next 20 to 30 minutes. Andy kept his cool and got the driver to put something up the road to warn drivers, called 911, called John, and called a cycling  friend with a truck to come pick up the bikes and him.

After being loaded into the ambulance I have memories but I recall being very confused. Everything from the previous 12 hours seemed very hazy and seemed dreamlike. The only way I can think to explain it is when you wake up from a vivid dream and you have 30 seconds to a minute when emotions make it difficult the realize where you are and reality. In this case reality came back to me gradually over 10min. to an hour (the previous night in 10 min. the previous hour of riding took about an hour). I remembered things but I kept feeling like they were dreams rather than reality (everything is sorted in my head now).

The EMT in the ambulance told me I had been asking the same things over and over. I realized I was strapped down on a board and had a neck brace on. I wiggled my fingers and toes, moved my legs slightly and make sure I had motor function. Being wheeled into the ER was surreal as it was exactly as you see in movies with just the lights whizzing past. They cut off my cycling clothes and had me hooked up quickly. I felt pretty good and starting realizing my wounds. Right hip, right thigh, and right knee hurt when I tried to move them (felt like a huge charlie horse on my thigh). I had a raging headache and felt blood around my right eye. Before I was shipped off to get a CAT scan and x-rays John and Ann came in (After hearing from Andy, John had jumped in the car and called Ann on his way to pick her up.)  CAT scan revealed to swelling in the head, X-rays showed no breaks. When I got back Andy arrived with a good friend Dan and I could get some questions answered and they kept me pretty relaxed.

After everything, I came out with a concussion, 30+ stitches on the right side of my right eye, an amazing black eye, lots of bumps and bruises, road rash in patches (winter riding means more clothing and less rash thankfully).  I am feeling good but very stiff and sore. Lastly I feel very blessed to be in such good shape after hitting a car while going between 25 and 30 (I would guess). I am very thankful for good friend, wonderful family, and their thoughts and prayers.

Robert B

Picture 1: Prior to cleaning me up and stitches

Picture 2: Stitches - the Dr. did a good tight job


4 comments:

Robert Dunlap said...

WOW!!! I am so glad that it wasn't worse than you describe. I ove you, Rob, and you are in my prayers.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Rob, we love you and are praying for you still to have a quick recovery. Glad you're ok,

Robert & Ann Bennion said...

Thanks you all so much. I love you each and am so thankful to be ok and feeling pretty good.

Anna B said...

That is really rugged, Rob! I'm so happy that you're ok! Love you. My friends keep asking about you and I love saying that you're doing fine :)