Tuesday, June 03, 2008

John's Big Ride

I went on my second semi-big ride this evening. It took me about 75-80 min, and you can see the route below. Notice the numbers on the map are mile markers. The chart on the bottom is the elevation gain. I did 16.34 miles and had a 800 ft ascent. Now to compare with L'Alpe D'Huez (hors categorie in the Tour). It is 8 miles with a 3,350 ft climb. HELLO!!!

It was a workout like I had not had in 20+ years. I was actually scared my body would not pedal any further. The last time I felt like this was when I took my first swim test at Camp Oljato. Death seemed like a real possibility. I didn't think I would die tonight, but I thought my cell phone might die, and I may have to lie on the side of the road for an hour and recover. I was looking for someone to offer to pull me up the last hill. Think the scene from"Napoleon Dynamite" -- It would be nice if you could pull me [up the last 400 feet of hills]. Anyway I was really proud of myself.


7 comments:

David and Jocelyn Bennion said...

Congrats on the great ride. Great imagery.

Anna B said...

booya, john! nice job! what kind of bike are you riding?

Robin Burton said...

Hey John, Great job. I can not wait to show John the "map my ride" That sure does add a new dimension to the exercise process. John would love that. I can just imagine how you felt. I felt that in a small way at Huntington Gardens trying to get up a very small(but big to me) hill. I was looking for the electric cart to come get me or Uncle Burke to come back with the wheel chair. Ha Ha.

Robert Dunlap said...

I am impressed. WOW!! Way to go John.

Robert & Ann Bennion said...

John...
You're the king.

Linda Bennion said...

All I can see in Lance A up on the peddles crunch his way past all his opponents up the alps. Way to go John.

John said...

Can you picture me giving Lance "the look"? "You coming with me?" I can... and then I wake up.