Sunday, April 26, 2009

Pop Culture Conference

Brooke, Alexis and I went to the pop culture conference in New Orleans this year and had a blast! The topic for the adaptation panels was pedagogy and literature and film and I presented a paper about a class I'm going to teach called Monsters, Villains, and Freaks--we'll be studying Victorian representations of monsters, etc. and their film adaptations. Good times! New Orleans is maybe the craziest city I've ever visited--kind of Disney land with voodoo, prostitutes, and bourbon. We hung out with our professor Dennis Cutchins, who is hilarious, and had a great time. We didn't even really get attacked during our panel's Q&A. Great people, great food, great times. Here're some highlights:



Me, Dr. Cutchins, and Alexis at the cemetery--they bury everybody above ground, which makes for some creepy graveyards.

Alexis, Brooke, and I trying on masks.

Some pretty cool street performers on Bourbon St.

Pirate's Alley


Me, Alexis, and Brooke at the Mississippi R.

5 comments:

John said...

Anna,

Looks like a blast! We can't wait to see you in San Diego. Wendy and I both think your hair looks spectacular. We love it!

Linda Bennion said...

Great pictures...Such a fun experience. I am glad you make those good things happen for yourself!

Robert & Ann Bennion said...

I think they're going to quote you on their tourism brochure, "New Orleans is maybe the craziest city I've ever visited--kind of Disney land with voodoo, prostitutes, and bourbon." It's perfect! Love the hair too! -Rob & Ann

Wendy and John said...

What fun! Your "Monsters, Villains, and Freaks" class sounds fabulous! I would LOVE to attend it! Also, I agree with Rob about the travel brochure. I love it!

Love,
Wendy

p.s. You're looking pretty svelt, Anna.

Don and Amy Bennion said...

Just want to add my amen to everyone above--
1. You look beautiful and I like this hair on you ( I also like the short hair, but I think this longer curly hair is really pretty too!)
2. I loved your "travel brochure" worthy description of Orleans...so funny
3. That class you'll be teaching sounds so fun. Has this class been taught there before or are you starting it?

I really can't believe you're getting your PhD! That is so amazing. Your students don't just get a Master's student as a teacher, they're getting a PhD student. I am so impressed.
Can't wait to catch up next month!
Amy